No more research for Claire | Blog #6

This internship has definitely helped me understand more about the goals I have in my career. I’ve been mentally tossing around the pros and cons of clinical versus counseling psychology throughout the year. Clinical psychology is much more focused on research and the science behind psych, while counseling psychology is centered on the practice of counseling and the application of psychological knowledge. But, after this internship, I feel very sound in my decision in pursuing a specialization in counseling.

I’ve been writing a systematic review for the past two months, and I’ve learned so much. I’m thankful for this opportunity to publish a paper at the age of 19, and to learn the process of writing such a work-intensive paper. But, by no means has it been exactly fun. Sitting down at my computer for 6 hours, 5 days a week, for the past 7 weeks is not my idea of fun. And certainly, work doesn’t necessarily need to be fun, but it’s helped solidify my concentration within the realm of psychology. I do not want to do research in the future, I want to practice as a counselor. I’ve always learned best by doing, by making mistakes and working through them, and this internship is a great example of that. Only by doing have I realized that it’s not something I’d like to keep doing. And I’m thankful that I’ve caught that early, that I can now focus all of my attention on a solidified and confident goal.

3 thoughts on “No more research for Claire | Blog #6

Congrats on solidifying your goal and passion for counseling psychology! I wasn’t as fortunate to figure out my goals as early as you, but like you, the long winding road of experience made it all worth it. Good luck with the future!

This is a great post, Claire! I want to echo what Angela said a little bit-It’s awesome you had this opportunity to realize that research is something you don’t want to pursue. It may not have been the most fun, but realizing what career paths don’t interest you is just as important as finding the ones that do! Some people take much longer than you to find the path they think suits them! Best of luck in the future.

Figuring out what you don’t want to do is just as important as figuring out what you want to do! Congrats on your publication, and best of luck as you navigate the specifics of what paths you choose to follow.