Blog #5 | Made For Obstacles

Internships are designed to test you. I have confirmed. While the first weeks of my internship flew by, it is clear to me now that companies enjoy testing you, but for me, not only do they enjoy it, but they actually need the help. For the past couple of weeks, I’ve been doing market research on competitors on social media and their websites. Through performing this research, I expected my work to be double checked thoroughly. And while it was, I was not expecting to be make last minute changes to the PowerPoint deck not just right before, but during the meeting with the client we were presenting the deck to. While they were in the meeting, I sat outside, messaging with one of my advisors in the meeting while she told me what adjustments to go through and this time, my edits were NOT being double checked. I nervously sat in the other room, looking through the window into the conference to see how far they were in the presentation and calculating how much time I had to make those adjustments.

Needless to say, I was having a panic attack. But, the meeting seemed to go well and the adjustments I made, made a difference in the reception of the presentation. This experience taught me that I should be ready for anything to happen and be able to take that challenge head on and succeed. I’d say that I performed well under pressure during this situation and made the necessary adjustments to help the presentation move along seamlessly.

One thought on “Blog #5 | Made For Obstacles

Making edits while a presentation is happening sounds like it could definitely be a high pressure situation. In the event you were to find yourself in a similar situation, is there anything you would want to do the same or differently?