Piran | 4

With my time spent in Piran approaching a month now, I’m finally comfortable enough to call Piran my home for the time being. This small coastal town in Slovenia is a short ferry ride from Venice is a unique place to live in. Because of the town’s close ties to Italy in both geography and history, there are some parts of the town reminiscent of Italian culture, specifically Venetian culture. Because of this and its location on the Adriatic Sea, tourists come from across the world to spend time here.

As for me, I’ve been living at the Marine Biology Station here. Compared to my quiet hometown in North Carolina, there’s a lot happening within this town. Everything I need is within walking distance and if I need to go beyond that, I can take a bus. Even the sea is located right outside my dorm, which helps me relax after a long day of work. If I ever wanted to travel to Italy, I can also catch a ferry and be in Venice in 2 hours. However, the only problem with being located on the sea is the distance between Piran and other parts of Slovenia, such as the capital. Thankfully, weekends exist, and I intend to make the most out of my time here!