The Simple Truth | #3

Share a story, thought, etc. from your internship.

When working 9 hours a day, I almost imagine those movie filters where I’m sitting in the exact same spot and people are moving in blurs around me in time lapse. Maybe that’s not the best analogy, but that’s how I feel at work. With my earphones plugged in, I’m so engrossed in my work; people are passing by me. I even have a huge, open-glass 15 feet window in front of me, but I never remember to look up and out. Indeed, I am, and always will be, a workaholic. However, the occasional phone call will interrupt my flow. Suddenly I lose my momentum. Everything slows down. I notice the phone calls, the laughs, the doors shutting, the chairs compressing, the heels clicking, the papers shuffling, and even the slosh of water.

Call me corny, but sometimes believing the obvious is different from stating the obvious. The obvious being that there was so much calm in the daily life. In the act of just tuning out work. I’m a bit of a math nerd, so it was intriguing to tune into random noises. The simple patterns. I heard the wheels of a chair slide on carpet before the cushion went poof! from being compressed. I heard the click of the coffee maker after five seconds of it churning out coffee. You heard the eight steps it took to cross the wooden walkway before heel met carpet.

So, the point of my blog was to note the importance of a break. I’m not indestructible; no one is. To all the workaholics out there: Stop and breathe. You’ll notice your once tense muscles are now relaxed. Your shoulders drop. Your eyebrows unfurl. The stress subsides. This is the simple truth that everyone needs to hear. There’s no avoiding the fact that our bodies have limits. Take a break, enjoy the view, and  breathe.

One thought on “The Simple Truth | #3

Great reminder to take time out for yourself!