Wrapping Up

As my internship begins to approach its end I feel an overwhelming appreciation for my experience. Although not every moment was easy, or fun to say the least, I have had a very rewarding time here. Over the past few weeks the USA National Swim team has spent time here, I went to a Gatsby party with my coworkers, I went to Ultra down in Split, helped with an MSU Law Program that recently arrived, and spent a lot of time writing and working with logistics. It’s been a crazy few weeks but well worth it.

I have learned a lot about myself while here.

1. I know that I do not want to go into tourism. I think that it is an extremely           important industry for a country like Croatia because a lot of the country’s income is from outside visitors, but I do not think it is an industry that I want to work in in the future.

2. I love writing. While I may not always have been super interested in what I was writing about I loved being published on the company’s website. I am leaving my internship with the intention of pursing the writing minor when I get back to school.

3. I am very interested in Athletics. We worked with the USA Swim team for a training camp here in Croatia and it was a very cool experience. Although I mostly handled logistics, I liked working with the team and their staff to make sure they had a good stay. At school I work on the event team with Michigan Athletics, and I am thinking maybe that is a career that I am interested in pursing.

My advice for any student who is interested in pursing an internship in my country is to expect the unexpected. Although everybody does speak English, it can sometimes get lonely when you cannot understand what is going on in everyday life around you because of the language barrier. However, you will meet some very cool people who are eager to befriend an American and learn about our culture.

This internship has taught me a lot and I am so thankful for Michigan’s internship program and my boss’s willingness to teach me. My coworkers have a place in my heart and I will miss Croatia immensely.

One thought on “Wrapping Up

Emily, I’m glad you were able to articulate your growth throughout your internship, and that you were able to figure out some next steps in your academic and professional life. Maybe in the future you’ll find something like writing for athletics?