Final Takeaways | #7

After 7 great weeks, my internship at Mahindra First Choice Wheels has come to a conclusion. As I write this, I am at the airport near my boarding gate waiting for the start of the boarding procedures. I will definitely miss the routine of going to work on the weekdays and relaxing on the weekends but, at the same time, I am excited to go back to Abu Dhabi and meet high school friends before leaving for Michigan.

The internship had gone according to my expectations 7 weeks ago for the most part. It was much more technical than I had thought it would be which was great since software development is one of the fields I am most passionate about. One thing I was pleasantly surprised about was how the internship blended the creative and technical aspects of writing code for a software product. With the project I was assigned, I got to experience all aspects of the development of the data analytics platform since this platform was made from the ground up. We were involved in designing the UI/UX, developing the front-end of the platform, especially the graphics, and integrating it with the back-end. At the end of it all, it was great to explain our project to the employees so that they could continue the work once we left and to see that the managers responsible for our project were extremely pleased with what we had developed. Nonetheless, it was hard to say goodbye to the employees as we had gotten to know them quite a bit throughout our time here but I’m sure our paths will cross some time in the future.

This internship has definitely taught me a massive array of technical skills but beyond that, I can now work much more efficiently in a corporate setting. Working on a project at university is vastly different from working at a large corporation and, in retrospect, I am beginning to realize all the soft skills I had developed in these 7 weeks. I hope to use all these skills when I resume my Software Engineering internship at Bayt.com in Dubai after a week. I am also now much more passionate about technology and the tech industry and although it is too early to decide what exactly are my career plans, I know that a technical position would be very enticing. To future interns in India, and specifically in Bangalore, I would recommend to explore as much of the location as possible and form good relationships with the other employees as they would know the best places to visit in the city you are interning in. Additionally, ensure you make the best use of the knowledge surrounding you as, chances are, you will be working with intelligent and experienced employees. With regards to an internship in software engineering and product development, do not be alarmed if you do not initially know the knowledge needed to get started on your assigned tasks. There are plenty of resources online and even the most experienced professionals always make use of these resources as things are constantly changing particularly in the tech world.

I could not have asked for a better 7 weeks and I would like to thank all the employees in the workplace for making us feel a part of the group. I also appreciate the managers at MFCW for all the guidance throughout the program and the CEO, Dr. Palle, for arranging such a fantastic opportunity for us while ensuring we had absolutely no trouble in the workplace and out of it too. Finally, I would like to thank all the university staff that had made the India Internship Initiative possible and I hope for all the success in the coming years of the initiative!

Rodney S

I am a computer engineering major at the University of Michigan passionate about software development, project management and consulting.