Informational Interview 1

I decided that for my informational interview I would reach out to someone in mergers and acquisitions here at Live Nation.  After researching who would be the best person to talk to, I reached out to the Senior Vice President of M&A and introduced myself.  With a little help from the Chief Marketing Officer who I have built a relationship with, I was lucky enough to get a response from him and we were able to set up a time to talk.  On the day of our meeting, I prepared questions that I would ask him during the talk to make sure the interview went as planned.  At the start of the talk I introduced myself and told him how I was double majoring in Economics and Communications at the University of Michigan.  I explained to him how I have an eye for numbers and am extremely interested in doing something with money, but how I also see myself working in the entertainment industry.  After gaining a better sense of why I wanted to talk to him and learn about what he does, he began to open up and tell me about his career.  He explained to me (although I already knew ahead of time because I did my research) that he had worked at Morgan Stanley for 10 years prior to this position.  He explained to me how he knew when he was going into finance that it wouldn’t be his final destination, but that he needed to do it to build the technical and analytical skills to succeed in a higher position.  I learned that when you work in finance, there is no actual product you are selling besides your own set of skills and intellect.  I had never thought of this concept before and it was interesting to consider.  After learning about what his life was like working in finance and hearing about the tempting lucrative components of the profession, he started telling me about mergers and acquisitions here at Live Nation.  What interested me the most was how many different companies he gets to learn about every day and the kind of deals companies like Live Nation make with hundreds of smaller companies you would never even know about.  He gets to lead the company in expanding their business ventures and growing their net worth, and that seems like such an exciting but also challenging job.  It involves curiosity, persistence, good people skills, an analytical mindset and a drive to take risks.  Moving forward after my talk with Michael, I feel ever so confident I made the right decision to double major in Economics and Communications because I feel it will put me in the perfect position to someday follow in Michael’s foot steps.  After our talk ended I sent a follow up thank you email to him to let him know I appreciated him taking time out of his day to talk to me, an intern.  We are now connected on LinkedIn and I feel I have made a great new connection in the working world.

2 thoughts on “Informational Interview 1

What a great opportunity! While it makes sense, I was not aware of the corporate M&A role. With a background in comm and econ, your interest in his role makes quite a bit of sense! As finance recruiting has already started for 2018, feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Or… need any support.