Making Beer in Japan! |#6

It’s almost time for me to go back home, and I feel like eight weeks here went by way faster than I anticipated. I remember how long my first week here felt, and how I kept having second thoughts about spending seven more here in the middle of nowhere in Ibaraki, but I feel like this place has grown on me unlike anything else. Living in a village like this has been a unique experience that I will probably cherish for a long time.

I had the opportunity to dine with two Michigan alums last week, and we spent quite a while comparing how different Michigan was back in the 80s to now. It was nice to hear a ‘go blue’ again, and they told us we should make the most of our college experiences because the years slip by.

Work has become slightly monotonous now, and I find myself looking forward to returning home more often than not. I finally got to experience what it was like to actually be part of the brewing team that makes the beer from scratch, which was something I had been looking forward to doing since I got here. I have also gotten to explore Tokyo a lot more over the long weekend last week, and also managed to finally eat some Kobe beef, which more than lived up to my expectations.

It’s hard to believe that I have only one more weekend left here in Japan, but at the same time I’m glad about all the memories and friends I’ve made here, and I will definitely be coming back here again. 

One thought on “Making Beer in Japan! |#6

Aw, I’m glad you ended up enjoying living in Ibaraki! Based on this internship experience, does it help inform what kind of work you would want to pursue in the future, whether it’s in terms of tasks or industry?