nearing the end

Blog post numero 3, week number 9. Translation: I’m an excellent procrastinator. And I currently have a lot on my plate (job, internship, LSAT studying). At this point, I’m fairly sure that law is the right choice for me. What I’m currently grappling with is what sort of law I’m interested in. Initially, this internship had me convinced that I wanted to be a defense attorney. However, I think this internship has provided me with a somewhat skewed idea of what being a defense attorney (specifically, a public defender) entails- my boss only deals with juveniles and, in the majority of cases, they seem to be victims of their consequences or quite simply children who make mistakes. But there is no guarantee that I would be working with children- what if I had to defend a man I knew had committed a horrible crime? What if it were my job to defend him?

Hannah Stechschulte

My name is Hannah Stechschulte and I'm a French/International Studies double-major at U of M.

2 thoughts on “nearing the end

Hi Hannah!

You said that this internship gives you an insight into life as a defense attorney, and on a kind of similar note, a lot of people who study or practice law actually hate shows like How to Get Away With Murder because of all the inaccuracies in the show pertaining to practicing law that greatly misrepresent life as a lawyer. I was just wondering what your take on shows like that was.

Hi Carrie! Unfortunately I don’t watch How to Get Away with Murder but thanks for commenting!