Yes Shoes! (My first mess up) #1

“Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world.”- Marilyn Monroe

I am interning at the Department of Transportation in DC, and one of the things I had to learn while navigating this building is the importance of the right shoes. So far during my internship I have met people with a diverse set of age groups. My cube mate, Erin, who is around my age is of course my favorite. Before this journey I decided to pack very lightly on shoes and pack these black flats that are perfect for business casual wear. I remembered them hurting if I walked for too long, but convinced myself that the heels of my feet will be fine and hey, no pain no gain, am I right?

So here I am currently at my internship and having to get up to make copies, print papers, and attend meetings. I thought to myself, why in the world did I pack these shoes? Then I remembered…..I didn’t want to spend money on a new pair AND I thought I could get around the pain. I am not a deep sociologist, but I did conform to a social custom, where I believed that the pain of the shoes were worth the style and cheap price.

I decided to invest in my future, and buy new shoes. This does not seem interesting nor does it seem like that big of a deal, BUT if you are person who tries to be financially savvy, this is a pretty good step from ‘no pain no gain’ to ‘good shoes take you to good places.’ Catch me throughout this internship rocking a real smile and not tip toeing.