Interpreting on Mackinac Island-#3

During my time interning on Mackinac Island with the Mackinac State Historic Parks I have had many great experiences. The great part about my internship is that I am getting to participate in other aspects of the park too, not just the collections.

Every Saturday I volunteer as an interpreter at the Biddle House, a historic home operated by the parks downtown on the island. I wear a historic costume and welcome visitors into the home. We teach them about what family life would have been like during the height of the fur trade. I love getting to do it because I get to share history with people in a unique way. It also gives me a break from the mostly solitary work of my internship.

I also had the great opportunity to volunteer at the All American Picnic held at Fort Mackinac on the Fourth of July. I dressed up as an 1880s lady, and assisted in events throughout the evening, such as games, dances, and patriotic singing.

When I spend time interpreting I get to work with other people who also have similar interests as me. I also get a better understanding of the education portion of the museum field. I really enjoy interpreting, and hope to get to do more of it in the future.

2 thoughts on “Interpreting on Mackinac Island-#3

Awesome photo! How great is it to have an opportunity to display history through dress and various activities!

This looks like a really big, if not the, highlight of the internship if you ask me!