Are You Down for Some Downtime? | #3

Something that surprised me most about this internship is that there is a lot of downtime and mindless work. When I had my interview for this position, my supervisor told me that the whole office was busy with a recent increase in opioid overdose that required all hands on deck. I guess that is why I assumed that as soon as I started, I would also be inundated with (meaningful) work.

Fortunately (for the city), there was no large-scale emergency that required the department’s attention, so the lowest of the rung of the ladder (us interns) did not have significant work to do. Of course, that didn’t mean that I just got paid for sitting around. Instead, the interns were in charge of folding the blood pressure tracking cards in stacks of 50 in order to distribute them on the Saturdays that we conduct blood pressure screenings.

All the other interns finished 4 stacks while I did 6. It’s clear to see that I’ve won.

So this slow week was filled with rather therapeutic work like folding cards and applying name tags to vests. Of course, this upcoming Saturday will be another FDNY block party where my Chinese skills will be needed at the blood pressure screenings, but I will look forward to when there is different work to do (I hear whispers of a newsletter that I may be working on).

Until next week!

5 thoughts on “Are You Down for Some Downtime? | #3

I think it’s great that you’re finding a little amusement in even the smallest tasks you do (like turning paper-folding into a mini challenge). Having this mentality really helps you get through those stale days, and it’s a quality I try to have, too.

Thank you, Jannah. I try my best to be amused whenever work is slow. I hope your internship is going well!

It is clear to see that you’ve won! I like your attitude. Even though these tasks are small and mindless, they’re still important, and I love that you’ve made it (at least a little) fun for yourself. I hope you do get to work on that newsletter! Can’t wait to hear what you’re doing next!

Thanks, Annika! You reminded me, I forgot to write about my newsletter!!!!!! Hopefully I can talk about that experience in the next post 🙂 Thank you for reading each week!

It’s great that you were able to use your Chinese skills on your job! It’s really cool when your language skills are useful when you’re not expecting it.