Not So Successful Second Week | #2

Finishing week one strong lead me to believe that week two was going to be fantastic! I wrote some pretty great pieces at The Bubble, and I managed my pesos better than before. Nothing major! Yet, I was in for such a surprise.

Sunday morning, I felt worse than I had felt the night before. I had intense pains in my lower back and my right side, and my fever was so high that I had chills leaving the bed. I didn’t know what was going on. Finally, my fiancé told me that I should go to the hospital. I really didn’t want to go because I had been to the hospital twice before during my semester long stay in Buenos Aires, but I sucked up my pride.

Waiting alone in the waiting room, I couldn’t stop shaking. The room had a draft, so I stayed in the warmer bathroom until my number was called. My doctor was very friendly. She didn’t realize I wasn’t from South America until she asked for my name. She was honestly impressed. The fact that she could even think my Spanish was impeccable made my day a little better. Most of the time that I sat in her office was spent speaking about North and South American differences in market and educational aspects.

Since everyone at my internship speaks English fluently, I rarely in that setting. She gave me a small boost of confidence that every day I’m still improving with the conversations I have outside of work.

Eventually, I was able to take some tests and wait in a warmer place. An hour later, she prescribed some medicine and told me that I shouldn’t leave the house for three days. I was saddened and excited. The pain was excruciating, and I needed the rest. Yet, I wanted to go to work. I want to continue to learn at my internship since I have such a short time.

I didn’t end up feeling better until Friday. Fortunately, I was able to write about a robbery that took place during an action scene in Tucumán. Resilience is important, but it’s more important to take care of your body at home and abroad. I will listen to my body more and more as I continue to travel.

One thought on “Not So Successful Second Week | #2

Self-care and personal wellness is indeed a great lesson to learn. So glad you are feeling better!