Week 5 happens to be the 4th of July holiday, and everyone got 2 days off!
Unfortunately, I had a serious stomach flu after the holiday and stayed in bed for almost a week. Saw a doctor and took antibiotics. My supervisor was very caring and wanted me to rest until feeling better. The sickness happened to be a point for me to slow down, re-evaluate my paces, and examine how I was doing over the past month.
So, before the internship started, I set three goals:
- Establish good relationships with mentors and coworkers.
- Obtain new skills and learn as many things as possible in this industry.
- Challenge myself with the improving my communication skill.
These goals still accurately describe my experiences while I would like to add some more details and possibly new goals:
- To be able to clearly communicate in mathematical/statistical sense—this is rather vital in conveying persuasive and strong ideas.
- Acquire new and/or deep knowledge of business-related fields (especially in finance), and to form comprehensive understandings between different fields.
- Combine what I have learned with real-life events/scenarios to strengthen professional skills.
In terms of my performance, I would rate it 80 out of 100. I was doing quite well over the past month—completed tasks on time and effectively, sought help when in doubt, quickly adapted between different areas, etc. What I didn’t do well was to clearly communicate about my opinions and how did I get to my results and my reasoning. This was added to my recalibrated goals in order to improve.