A Fun Project #3

One of my favorite projects that I’ve done during this internship has been a memo on currency manipulation. I was tasked with answering the question of how currency manipulation has been dealt with in regards to trade deals and. Answering this question involved reading about the history of currency manipulation, then learning about how the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Trade Organization (WTO) have handled currency manipulation. I enjoyed reading differing opinions from think tanks about the appropriate manner to address currency manipulation; while some claim bilateral trade agreements should not include any language about the issue in order to preserve the authority of the multilateral IMF and WTO, others argue that neither the IMF or WTO have the teeth to effectively enforce any of their policies, so bilateral trade agreements must address the issue instead.

Researching this issue gave me a greater understanding of the topic, which will help me as I move forward with my education in economics. As I continue to learn more about international economics, I will better understand markets in other countries. This is a vital first step toward forming opinions as to what shall be done about poverty, development, and more controversial issues such as free-market-access and privatization. I am excited to take on more projects which deal with important issues such as currency manipulation in the future.