The Beauties Of Working At NASA | #3

Our project has made considerable progress. We have built a web application that displays and compares agricultural and atmospheric data of almost any country in the world on an interactive 3D globe. A gorgeous and customizable user interface has been built and we currently can visualize over twenty years’ worth of agriculture data, including percentages of employment in agriculture by gender, agriculture value added in GDP and US dollars, and percentage of population with access to clean water. We have been waiting on one of our team members to complete analysis of the atmosphere and climate data, which include temperature, precipitation, wind speed, and more. Now we are implementing the data into our application.

What I am learning during this internship is that a team works most efficiently when each member has his or her own responsibilities based on his or her strengths. Furthermore, in the beginning, some of my colleagues were absent, as each of us had different internship start and end dates, while the few of us that were present were overwhelmed with the tasks ahead of us.

Originally, I expected my internship to be guided with specific goals and projects set for me from start to finish. When my internship began, however, we had many ideas roaming in our head, but we were unsure where to start. Fortunately, after two full weeks of awkward silences and bustling conversations while we explored the Web World Wind SDK (Software Development Kit), we grew fully aware of the limitless capabilities of the source code. We then started to implement functionalities along with real-world data we have been gathering over these past few weeks.

We as a team have set deadlines and objectives for what we need to complete next. I will update you on my internship in the next blog post.

Meanwhile…

I recently toured one of the supercomputer facilities at NASA Ames. These are some of the pictures I took.

I stood in a room filled with machines next to machines that were liquid-cooled. It was freezing in the room, and the computers were unbelievably loud. Nonetheless, it was an awe-inspiring experience witnessing the technologies that operated NASA’s visual modeling and simulation programs.

Not only that, I also visited the beautiful San Francisco during the weekend.

I went to Pier 39, Fisherman’s Wharf, Union Square, and Chinatown. Here are some photos I took.

San Francisco is a beautiful city, but Ann Arbor is still my home.