The ITS Experience | #2

May 19th, 2017

This week has been great for me! I was able to accomplish much more than I had predicted, which was a pleasant surprise. Each day was basically all coding, and by Wednesday afternoon I was actually able to complete the core functionality of the plugin I’m building. I was actually quite surprised when I compiled everything and it worked on the first try, so I guess I did something right! Also, my meetings with my supervisor Ed have gone quite smoothly, and he’s done a great job explaining the workings of the plugin itself and framing a plan of attack for building the various pieces of it.

So far, I really like how open this job is about when and where you’re working, since it’s more results driven. On one of the days I had no physical meetings and just a few video conferences planned, so I was able to work from home which was a nice change of pace. The negative side of this is that if I’m behind on my work I might have to put in extra hours, but so far it’s been going at a very manageable pace.

I’ve been learning a lot about the development process overall as well, and improving my coding skills. I haven’t really worked in python before, but it has been pretty easy to pick up and often is self explanatory, allowing me to write the functions I needed with ease. I haven’t really used git before either, so it’s good to practice source control, pushing to various branches or repositories. If things keep going the way they are now, then this should be a very useful and productive summer!