The ITS Experience | #5

June 9th, 2017

Well, I believe that today marks the one month anniversary since us interns began at ITS, and it’s been quite a fun ride so far. This week in particular has been quite interesting for me, since I was able to interact with several other developers within the greater scope of my project, as well as attend a social event with them and get a better taste of the business lifestyle.

The first few days of this week were fairly standard, with my partner and I doing development work for our project. I have been working on packaging an RPM for a Python JQ library which will be very useful for the SNMP archiver we plan to write. I’ve reached a bit of a roadblock, but help will be on the way shortly and it has been interesting so far. I’m always surprised at the wide variety of skills that I have been picking up and been exposed to since I began here. On wednesday, Mark Feit from Internet 2 flew into Ann Arbor for the conference, and we were able to meet a day early. We went out to get sushi for lunch, and discussed developmental tasks with him.

Then, come thursday and friday the actual perfsonar conference happened, with several in depth presentations from lots of the developers on the team. Lots of the information presented was beyond my comprehension or about subjects I wasn’t too familiar in, but it was all very enriching and often interesting. Today, Adilah and I gave a short talk to the other developers about what we’ve been working on as well as some future goals and development plans. For me, this was good public speaking practice since it’s something I tend to struggle with, and it went quite well! Also, the other devs were able to offer some good suggestions and ideas for us.

It’s been a good week, and I look forward to the next!