Blog post 3

As I work in the U.S. probation office, I have learned more about my identity and how it plays a role in my possible future career choices. In the workplace you must be prepared to deal with all different kinds of people. Specifically, in the criminal justice system, there are many different kinds of people that you encounter. These people come from many different races, cultures, genders, sexual orientations, and nationalities. Unfortunately in the United States there is an increased number of individuals who are African American that are being incarcerated. I have learned through this internship the privileges that I have being a white, middle class citizen. Not only this, but individuals who have a lower income are more likely to be charged for crimes. In a fair amount of cases, there are hate crimes that include people of different sexual orientations. I am in the LGBT Michigan club at school and I am subjected to diversity on may levels, however, this internship has shed light on the differences we have and the real issues of this society. Being part of the LGBT community allows me to reach a broader audience. Because I have an interest in social work as well as criminal justice, being familiar with diversity can help me to my advantage.

diversity is important!

One thought on “Blog post 3

I agree Lily! Diversity is very important and recognizing your position in society is important as well! Continue to learn a lot and enjoy your internship!