Blog Post 4: Describe an obstacle that you have faced in your internship or a mistake that you have made, and how you have or are planning to overcome it.

A mistake I made at first was not trying to interact with an intern that was hard of hearing. I thought that if I paid too much attention and tried to pretend to be his friend just because he was not like everyone else would just be disrespectful. He was from California and studied Biology. The internship required strength and endurance because it was in the mountain range of Ecuador. During hikes that required much endurance, he was one of the strongest that could carry more than anyone and would help us out. He was one of the most prepared by having tools in his bag and we ended up requested frequently his help throughout the internship. As time progressed I learned that he and I were similar. We stayed behind as people went to party and we drew together in the evenings with some other interns. Our humor was similar and we ended becoming good friends. He taught me some sign language and gave me a special sign name after he thought I had earned it by learning enough sign to communicate comfortably with him and others in the internship. My sign name is one of the most special things anyone has ever given me. I’m glad it worked out like it did, and in his honor I plan to learn more sign and become fluent.

One thought on “Blog Post 4: Describe an obstacle that you have faced in your internship or a mistake that you have made, and how you have or are planning to overcome it.

I’m happy that the two of you ended up finding out how similar you are, despite first impressions. I understand what you mean about not wanting him to think you were treating him differently due to his hearing difficulty, and I think you were doing it from a place of being considerate rather than unfriendly.