Leading Ladies | Blog #3

Although both CMT and its parent company, Viacom, have male presidents/CEOs, much of the leadership that drives CMT is female. And that is pretty awesome.

When I was hired into my position, I knew that my supervisor would be female because I spoke with her during my final interview. What I didn’t know, however, was that her boss (and her boss’s boss) would be female, as well. So would the VPs for several of the other departments that make up Country Music Television, and that gave me a lot of hope.

There are three specific leading ladies that have made a tremendous impact on the way I view leadership, and those are Kate Warburton (Director of Programming & Multiplatform), Tessa Jordan (VP, Program Planning & Scheduling), and Leslie Fram (VP, Talent & Music Strategy).

These three women, each in their own way, have exemplified strong leadership by promoting positivity and inclusiveness, demonstrating the importance of investing in new artists and supporting their Viacom sister brands, and by paying it forward to others–such as myself–who could learn from the skills and experiences that these women have each acquired. It has been such a privilege to observe the way that each of these women carry their teams, as there is an evident selflessness that constantly reinforces the idea that everyone at the company is a part of something that is bigger than themselves.

Kate, Tessa, and Leslie have all had very successful careers to date; however, not a single one of them has allowed the success to get to her head. They each embody everything that leadership should like: they are goal-oriented, they are risk takers, and–most importantly–they are team players. If I can adopt at least a fraction of each of these ladies’ leadership abilities, maybe I will be successful too.

Jaime R

Programming Strategy Intern @ CMT/Viacom Media Networks