Blog Post 2: Share and describe 5 photos that capture a day in your shoes as an intern. Reflect on how your internship day is different from your normal routine back home.

So the internship and my routine back home is quite different. Everyday we had to wake up at 4 am and hike to high elevations that were strenuous to say the least. In Ecuador, the sun sets early in the day at around 6 pm, so we all ended going to sleep at around 7 pm! There was also loads of manual labor, so along with brain power we had to do physical work. To get to a location we had to hike for a few hours along hazardous paths and usually with a machete to clear the paths. The supplies had to be taken with us so we had heavy backpacks that made the trips a little scarier. If we wanted to use wifi we had to make a laborious hike into town and try and get a ride, if your lucky, to the main area where there were internet cafes or restaurants with wifi available.  At home I usually wake up at around 6 am and go to work or school and I always have wifi available, which I really appreciate now.

Hammock overlooking Ecuadorian forest.             A hummingbird weighed and held still by a mesh as a”taco.”

Juvenile in photographers grip.

Met a fellow Wolverine.                         Bi-color antbird in photographers grip.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post 2: Share and describe 5 photos that capture a day in your shoes as an intern. Reflect on how your internship day is different from your normal routine back home.

Wow, those bird pictures are so amazing! Your research experience sounds so amazing. Was this what you expected, or were you surprised by what you encountered and accomplished?

Thank you for your kind words 🙂 It was way harder work to set up the tools we needed, we had to change locations frequently, in various places on the reserve. There was a lot of brain work as well as physical. I am proud, if I do say so lol, of how I pushed myself to move around scary heights at the reserve as I am deathly scared of heights. I don’t want to baby my fears so I always jump at the chance to confront them when I can, and the reserve was a great place to do that!