Symposium Approaches | #4

It’s been sort of a crazy week.  Kelly and I have been transcribing and coding as fast as we can, but since the length of a file is usually an hour or more, it’s been a little slow.  Fortunately, we recently received word from our mentors in Spain, and they’ve decided to change the transcription process a bit in order to speed it up.  Now the focus is on the more important parts of the recordings.  Things should go much faster now!

Kelly and I also had an exciting opportunity to present our research to our peers during one of our seminars.  Our summer symposium is coming up on August 2nd, and all of us are required to make a poster and prepare a short “elevator-pitch” presentation.  However, we could also compete for one of five slots reserved for oral presentations.  So Kelly and I prepared a slideshow and presented our research last Thursday.  I had to do a poster presentation in the spring for UROP symposium, so I liked the different style that an oral presentation offered.  Unfortunately, there were a limited number of slots and our presentation wasn’t chosen.  I have to say I’m more than a little disappointed, but I think the most important thing is to learn how we can improve and do better next time.  One of the things I think might have been a factor is the discipline itself.  Linguistics probably isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word “research.”  We aren’t curing cancer or making breakthroughs in the medical field that has the potential to save lives, so it can be difficult for some people to understand the importance of linguistic research.  “Why should I care?” is a question that needs to be answered when presenting about research, but it can sometimes be hard to answer.  And while I thought we did a decent job answering that question, maybe it didn’t come across as well as we thought as we thought it would because we already think linguistics is so cool.  The important thing isn’t that we didn’t get the spot.  The important thing is that we learn from it.

Right now, Kelly and I are hard at work on our poster for symposium.  I can’t believe the program is coming to a close in just 2 weeks!  10 weeks felts like a lot more time 8 weeks ago.  Stay tuned for my final post next week!

One thought on “Symposium Approaches | #4

I am happy that your internship is going well! I agree that it is very important to learn from our experiences. It is the lessons that we take away that are very valuable. I hope that your poster goes well!