About the commute | #2

For my internship this summer, I spend a good 2 – 3 hours commuting into Manhattan from Queens in New York City. Some days I get lucky and can take an express bus, other days there are train problems. A few things about commuting in New York City.

The New York City subway system is one of the oldest in the world and thus is prone to constant breakdown. The possibilities for defect range from track fires and flooded subways to unruly customers on the tracks and signal problems. In general, you never know what will happen so its always best to leave your home early to make sure you get to work on time.

Another thing about the New York City subway system is that there is nothing between you and the track when the train comes. It is quite dangerous, especially when the subway is packed during rush hours. Never stand on the edge of the platform, its best to stand towards the center of the platform.

Rush hour for the subway usually begins somewhere around 4:30-5:30 P.M. Rush hour usually lasts until 7 P.M. Also, in case if you are wondering if the traffic on the surface is any better, it is definitely not. New York City is not a city that was built for cars and more often than not it is faster to travel by subway than car.

While the commute may be long, it does not have to be unproductive. I’ve seen people eat meals, do their make up, write essays, program on the train. In general, I try to read books or papers for work on the train. Many people might not include commuting as part of their internship experience but I consider it an integral part of an internship. When you enter the work force, chances are you’ll be commuting to work.