Connecting Your Studies To Your Academic Exploration l #6

My summer internship at BBC Worldwide in the Scripted Development Department has been an eye-opening experience. Not only has this been an invaluable opportunity to learn what executives on the creative side of television do on a daily basis, but I’ve been able to get a glimpse at what a job of this nature would entail from the perspective of a fly on the wall. This experience both confirmed and swayed my path in a sense -it confirms that I want to pursue some kind of profession in the entertainment industry, just maybe not something as niche as the work being done here. The days I’ve enjoyed most have been those when I was given even an inch of creative freedom, whether that was writing up my thoughts on projects in development or given research tasks when I was trusted to include whichever examples I found most fruitful. However, these days have been few and far between. I’ve learned that any job that entails sitting at a cubicle in an office, no matter how nice it may be, is not in the cards for me. There are only so many hours in a day, and considering how many of those will be spent working over the course of my life, I refuse to get stuck in a career path where I spend most days staring at the clock waiting until I can go home. Though the path I hope to follow is untraditional, I now know that in order to feel fulfilled with whatever work I choose to do in the future, I need to be my own boss (at least to a certain extent.) At school, I take the maximum number of credits because I pride myself on my ability to multitask and work efficiently. As someone who is highly capable of knocking out tasks as they come, I take issue with the traditional 9-5 job. It seems that forcing people to work for a certain number of hours every day inhibits efficiency as well as the creative process. There have even been times when I’ve been guilty of stretching out tasks for longer than necessary for the sake of having something to do/fill time later. I still don’t know where my path will take me, and that’s OK. What I do know is this: I hope to take personal pride in whatever work I do and go home excited to share what I did that day and wake up excited to pick up where I left off.