Identity | Blog #3

The excitement I felt about having the opportunity to do an internship in Africa was primarily based on my desire to be in an environment with other people of color, so that I would no longer be in the minority. It can be overwhelming to always be a racial minority and I was expecting to have a sense of belonging once I arrived in Ghana. However, the comfort I wanted never came, because even though I can blend in physically with everyone here, I still am an outsider culturally. The languages, traditions, food, clothing, and music is all different from what I experience in the United States. I also felt weird about calling myself African-American, because here I am identified by locals as a Black American, and I don’t really feel like I’m connected to Africa. On a positive note, after I became comfortable with the fact that even though I’m a Black person in a Black country, I am still a tourist, I have been able to enjoy exploring Ghanaian culture. Being here has made me appreciate my own culture more as I no longer feel like I have to force myself to connect to my idea of Africa and what it means to be an African-American. I am very fortunate to be able to live in Ghana and experience authentic African culture.

2 thoughts on “Identity | Blog #3

What an amazing opportunity to reflect on and confront one’s identity. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Ashya, I never had the opportunity to leave the continent so enjoy your internship and take plenty of pictures.