Looking Forward (#4)

At this point I’ve only got a couple of weeks left in the lab. This internship has taught me a lot, such as what I am and am not interested in research-wise. It has also really helped me get a better understanding of what I may want to do after I graduate. Graduate school is a common topic of conversation for us here, so it’s also been great to hear about everyone’s experiences and the roads that they’re taking to reach their goals.

Due to all of the talk about the future, the other day I took some time to sit down and reach out to a handful of professors about working with them on their research in the fall. After this internship, I feel confident about having the necessary skills to work in another lab at home.

We have a project to do here which entails coming up with a research question and designing a study to test it. I’m pretty excited about this, seeing as though I will probably do some type of senior thesis. This project will give me a chance to learn how to think critically about my own questions so that I am able to actually design studies to answer them. I think this is a great chance to practice designing studies, so that when it comes time to propose my senior thesis, I will have some idea of what I should have ready to go.

I do wish that more of the interns were closer to my age, though. Many of them have graduated already and are in the middle of taking time off before applying to graduate school. I think that it would’ve been nice to go through this experience with more people that are still in similar situations as I am. It would be nice to have more people to talk about things like finding labs to work in during the fall, classes to take, and so on. Overall, though, I enjoy our group of interns. I think that the diversity in age also makes us interesting.

2 thoughts on “Looking Forward (#4)

SO awesome that you get to go to Yale for the summer to do research! Best of luck to you as you search for research here– there are so many labs at U of M, it is not too difficult finding one that interests you!

I’m glad you’re finding your future career path slowly but surely. Although I can definitely relate when it comes to wishing my coworkers were closer to my age. But usually with age comes experience. Make sure you remain close to these people as they are a fountain of knowledge!