Making Friends as an Intern | #3

One of the most exciting things about being an intern this summer has been surprisingly, for me, making friends with other interns!

I know it’s recommended (not to mention fun) to connect with other young people at internships, but since mine is an editorial internship and most of the work I’m doing is fairly independent, I wasn’t anticipating a lot of opportunity for this. Luckily, I was wrong: My very first day, I spent a couple of hours reorganizing a closet space with one of my fellow interns, which got us talking for a while. A week or two later, a different fellow intern invited me to go to lunch with her, and I got to learn a lot about her — for instance, that she’s writing a book! I’m working on a book of my own, so this was a really exciting thing to talk about. Since these experiences, I’ve noticed myself making more of an outward effort to connect with my fellow interns here, making conversation and asking for updates on their lives between assignments.

This might sound minor, but it actually is an important takeaway for me from this internship. No matter what field you’re working in, it’s always possible to reach out to other people and make friends. In fact, I think the fact that my internship is journalism-related has propelled me to become more outgoing and socially forthcoming in general — I’m usually nervous about calling people on the phone and actively approaching strangers, but this internship has had me interview so many people that it doesn’t bother me now nearly as much as it used to. I’m hoping that these effects stick around and that I only continue to grow more outgoing and socially comfortable as time goes on.

2 thoughts on “Making Friends as an Intern | #3

Definitely agree with your takeaway. I think an internship isn’t only about learning about your field, but its also learning how to network and build meaningful work connections. You never know who you might run into in the working world. One day, your coworker might be the boss at a company you’re applying too! Asides from that, its always interesting to talk to and meet new people!

I couldn’t agree more! In fact, it actually took me almost the entirety of this internship to get this one simple truth down: together is better. I always thought I worked best as an independent worker, but i realized the benefits of going out of your way to make friends and connections that will far outlive just the duration of the internship. Your post is what got my mind thinking about this topic (and what to write about in my new post!), so thanks for the inspiration!