Real Contributions | #3

I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do in the future, post-graduation. I liked working with computers, specifically programming and solving problems. After building my very first mobile app, I realized that I enjoyed creating something that other people use and find helpful. But Computer Science is a broad term that blankets many diverse fields. I wanted to use this internship as a way to explore those different fields.

As an intern, I produced real production code for the company’s cloud-based product, delivering contributions to a product that customers actually used, which was awesome and pressuring. Additionally, I improved the performance of our integration tests, modifying the creation of mock objects and fixing bugs that popped up, which was rewarding yet a bit tedious at times. Moreover, I integrated multiple versions of an open source API documentation tool to work simultaneously, augmenting the user interface and updating the endpoint documentation, which was fun and satisfying.

Beyond my work in backend development, I’ve been exposed to the fields of DevOps, UI/UX, and Computer Architecture through various tech talks, conversation with the different teams around me, and problem-solving discussions in our team meetings. While I discover what I really want to do in the future, making real contributions to my team while exploring other venues has been a great experience thus far.