Blog #2: Work-Culture

Work culture has, for a majority of my life, been defined as a set of dynamics which either promote or hinder innovation and creativity amongst employees in a specific office setting. My bosses at Wine n’ Dine pride themselves on maintaining a professional culture which prides itself on inclusivity and casualness. Wine n’ Dine’s start-up environment stands to re-create the entirety of archaic office policies and culture. While a suit may be required dress at a financial firm or law practice, co-founders Adam Cooper and Josh Stern ask employees to be as fancy or as casual as they please, whichever makes them feel the most comfortable and susceptible to produce valued work. I find that an employer’s capability to make each and everyone of their employees feel as comfortable as possible, admirable and a very important part of keeping office culture at bay. While I may quarrel or disagree with a fellow employee from time to time, it’s important that I remember to understand how unnecessary disagreements hinder both my own level of comfort, as well as that of the person I am in disagreement with. This discomfort leads to unproductive work, awkward office dynamics, and an unprofessional display to action.

All Wine n’ Dine employees work in a big, open space, almost like a loft. Tables and chairs line the borders of the office. The chairs face towards the center of the room, allowing all members of the workspace to feel their presence noticed and appreciated. I feel that this set up allows employees to bounce ideas off of one another easier and let creativity flow in a more fluent manner. I appreciate this type of office living rather than that of a cubicle style. The openness allows employees to feel invited to participate in the overall office dynamic and vibe. I see myself working in this type of environment in the future because it seems to have the most susceptibility to craft innovation and hone in on creativity in the most productive way possible.