Director of Programming Informational Interview

For my first interview I connected with the Director of Programming of CBS Sports Network. I was interested in connecting with this individual because his profession connects my internships from the past two summers. Last summer I worked with CBS entertainment, marketing and promotion, while this summer I work with a sports league and sales. As a result of my past experience it was very easy to talk to him. I had a solid comprehension of what he did for a living so the conversation went smoothly and I got to ask more in-depth questions because we didn’t have to start the conversation with the basics.

I always thought I needed a law degree. I thought for the programming- partnership stuff I wanted to do in the future it was strategic to have a law degree. After talking to Mr. Tressler, I found this not to be the situation. While many people in his field do have a familiarity with the law and may even have a degree in law he does not. I also learned that while there are many established long-term deals negations for pre-established programming along with new programming is always occurring. There is no slow time in this business. Mr. Tressler also informed me that the president of CBS Sports in a Michigan Alumnus. Go Blue!

After discussion with the director of programming I decided that law school is no longer a sure thing for me. Post-graduation I can feel out the field and some more experience before deciding whether to pursue law school or not. As for what I can apply to the remainder of my internship, just the idea of making continued connections with everyone I come in contact with. You never know who may help you get you where you want to be in the future.

One thought on “Director of Programming Informational Interview

It sounds like you had a productive conversation! While it may be ambitious, it may be worth leveraging your U-M degree to try to connect with the President of CBS Sports!