Exploring this beautiful country | #4

I am now thinking this internship is totally going too fast! It took 4 weeks for everything to get really good and now I feel like it’s almost over 🙁

I have starting to get to know the people that work in the lab a lot better. I met one girl from Slovenia who is 20 years old who works in the lab and we have been hanging out a lot recently! She is totally cool and is showing me around quite a bit. Her mom even made us a nice Italian dinner (just a huge caprese salad, fresh from their garden).

I switched mentors at work which has been quite a success. I am now learning about the these invasive jelly fish that are really detrimental to the Northern Adriatic sea. We have been collecting various jelly fish species and running experiments on them to see how resilient they are to various environmental conditions. They are growing at extreme rates because the fish population, a predator of the jelly fish, is decreasing due to human consumption. We are studying to see how we can keep the jelly fish population under control.

I have been trying to explore as much of Slovenia as possible, which really is not that hard because it is such a small country. This weekend I went to a town in the Alps called Bovec where the beautiful aqua-colored Soča river passes through. I went canyoning which is basically just climbing various waterfalls but in really fun ways like sliding, jumping, and using ropes. I also hiked a ways to see a beautiful waterfall and went up a 2,202 meter mountain with a cable car! It was quite a fun and adventurous weekend. I HIGHLY recommend exploring Slovenia!

Tansy

Biology and Environment major at the University of Michigan. Boston --> Ann Arbor --> Piran, Slovenia. I <3 sailing, backpacking, theater, and baking.

One thought on “Exploring this beautiful country | #4

Your research project sounds really interesting as well as impactful on the local ecosystem. Has working on the lab helped to inform your future classes or career path?

Also, the caprese looks delicious…drooling from Michigan.