Is there really such a thing as a bad experience? Blog #4

This week has been very bittersweet as I have reached the mid-point of my internship. I am so ready to go home and begin the new school year but I am so in love with the city that I am not ready to leave. I honestly just wish I could stop time and continue at my internship forever. When I began the program, I had no idea what to expect. I tried my best to leave expectations at the door and live the experience to the fullest. Therefore, I created goals that were hopefully achievable in order to create the most of my experience.

Initially, I thought I would want to lead groups, do assessments, and create a lasting impression on the organization. In the past 5 weeks, I finally completed my first assessment which was very different than I thought it would be. It was very neat to sit across from someone and have a conversation and attempt to fill out the paperwork without the meeting feeling so formal. I am really ecstatic that I was able to complete an assessment; however I still haven’t been able to lead a group. The company is a bit more hesitant on that since it is more people and more structure. This is probably the most frustrating bit of the summer. It seems that there is a lack of trust because I am still at university. It is almost as if my supervisor thinks I am incapable of the responsibility.

I have been lucky to have such supportive co-workers who strive to give me the best experience possible. It is because of them I have been able to achieve most of my goals including doing an assessment, and having a good time. I decided that leading a group may not be the most important thing but instead, I should be making as many connections as possible. As my end goal is to come back to London, I need to ensure I have contacts to reach out to.

In terms of performance, I would say I am doing fairly well. Although, I wish I had more support from management and Global Experiences. GE has been non-existent since I have been here especially when I was having issues in my internship. That was the most frustrating bit of my experience as I spent a whole week attempting to get help to resolve an issue and was pushed aside. It was actually because of this incident that I made a goal to just come to work with a smile everyday. So I may not be doing what I had initially hoped, but I have been making the most out of my experience and trying to enjoy every minute of it.