A Dragonfly #3

A few weeks ago, I left the office for my parking lot a distance away from the building at 3:30, just like I do every day. In front of me, there was a man wearing a nice tan jacket with what looked like a feather stuck to it, but it was wiggling in the wind. It took me a while before I realized that it was actually a dragonfly. I approached him and knocked it off with a folder that I was holding.

In my mind, I thought, “Well, that’s that. My good Samaritan contribution for the day.” I was completely ready to just continue on my way to my car. To my surprise, he started talking to me, asking me if I was an intern, which department I was working in, and more. I honestly didn’t expect such a random encounter to lead to an introduction and offer for lunch. After talking for a  while in the parking lot, Marc gave me his business card and suggested that we talk at some point in the future and get lunch. He was an intern at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan two years ago before he became a full-time employee, and he said he saw a little of himself in me.

I took him up on the offer, and we ate lunch at Granite City in Detroit. We talked about our universities, the organizations we are and were involved in, and his work here at Blue Cross. Before I knew it, an hour had passed as we talked and engaged about our lives. I feel like I have gained a mentor in the strangest of ways. We don’t work in the same department or even the same floor. Our departments rarely interact with one another, but because of a dragonfly, I had the opportunity to network and learn from Marc.

Thanks, Dragonfly!

One thought on “A Dragonfly #3

Wow. I’d love to accidentally network with JJ Abrams via a bug! Haha