Blog #1: Goals

After my first week in Dehradun, India and as an intern with Ankuri, I have started to settle into my role as an English teacher. I am teaching at four different schools for roughly one hour at each school Monday through Friday for kids ranging from the ages of 5-12. Their English-speaking abilities vary a considerable amount so I am anticipating it being a challenge developing lesson plans that keep the whole class engaged, lesson plans that are accessible for all students, but at the same time not too easy or too hard. Being in the classroom for 7-8 weeks, I must be realistic with what I will be able to accomplish. I am not going to be able to make these students fluent in English or readers of Shakespeare. I hope to form positive relationships with my students; I want to learn about who they are, where they come from, to learn about what makes them excited or what makes them curious. Hopefully I can take these things and then apply them in the classroom and in my lessons. While there is a language barrier, I fully believe that I can form these positive relationships and have these kids trust me, which will then (hopefully) lead to them learning something. As far as what I want to gain from the experience, I guess my answer falls into the generic response of many people going abroad and this is perspective. How do people in the Indian culture navigate life? What are their norms, traditions, values and beliefs? How is education viewed within the country? What are the philosophy of the teachers in the schools? What is the curriculum in the schools? How does education differ here compared to the United States? I think I’ll have ample opportunities to answer these questions while I am here and I hope to soak up as much new information as I can.

2 thoughts on “Blog #1: Goals

Trevor, I admire how much you’re dedicating your future goals to learning more about the local people and culture. Best of luck with your internship!

I really do love how you’re focusing on what you can do for them and what information you need to know in order to complete your task to the best of your ability. It’s actually quite amazing and I’m interested to see how the rest of your internship goes.