Homesickness

I would say one of the top challenges I have faced while being abroad is overcoming homesickness.

I was pretty homesick honestly for the first month and was honestly inseparable from my phone. I would say I am still partially inseparable from my phone, but I no longer face time friends for hours on end every day. I’m in a program with about 35 other interns and we all live together so I’m pretty sure I was well known for skyping constantly near a cafe with free wifi that could be used from entrance of our accommodation everyday. I think I assumed I would be so excited to venture out in Sydney that I would never even glance at my phone. Well it is Australia’a winter and it gets extremely dark between 4 and 5 p.m. and being in a different country I really didn’t want to venture out also since I had yet to figure out how to receive data to use on the go (international data plans through my phone plan was expensive).  Once I made some friends with my roommates I became a little less homesick, but once I really started exploring Sydney in general is when I really overcame or at least managed most of my homesickness.

I believe making the most of my weekends and trying to be proactive with people in my program, is the best way to get over being homesick. Sometimes during the week I forced myself to get out of my apartment and enjoy the company of peers within my program. Once I become more comfortable exploring Sydney on my own and with other peers is when I think I will fully over come being homesick. I also believe engaging more with coworkers will additionally help me overcome my homesickness.

One thought on “Homesickness

Thank you Ivory for sharing what you’ve learned regarding homesickness…I know your suggestions will help someone else going through the same thing!