Final Thoughts, Reflection of the Impact of My Intern Experience

I must say that volunteering for this internship has had a very good impact on me. When I transferred to the University of Michigan I thought I was going to have to work hard but I never thought I was going to have to work as hard as I have had to over the first two semesters. I felt lost and never thought I would make it this far. However, as I began working with my mentor everything seemed so much easier than when I first started classes.

This internship has helped me develop the skills I will need to become a successful research professional. It has helped me realize my place and it has helped me confirm what drives me. I love science and the passion I feel inside drives me to learn the details so I can in turn teach what I have learned to others. I caught myself diving in to the lab work and began to educate others on what I was learning about the research. My mentor worked hard to make sure I developed in ways that would help my self-esteem and self-confidence. If giving an opportunity to intern here at the University of Michigan. I believe everyone should. Internships help get the bugs out of our performance, help use to mature from within. I am pleased with myself for having pursued an uncertainty. I have managed to learn more than I felt possible.
When I started at the University I felt I was the only transfer student who was having issues. However, it is because of Intern programs at the University and abroad that each student finds their path in which to travel. The Internship has helped me to reach out and ask questions, helping me to understand the importance in communication and collaboration.

Victoria B

Through many classes and professors at community college, I learned about a wide range of topics from College Algebra, to English, to Biology, to Art. It was not until my Junior year at the University of Michigan, that I realized one very important topic was not covered: Sustainability. Through middle school and high school, the subject of sustainability never came up. The University of Michigan has a reputation of being an institution that promotes Sustainable Practices and yet I know very little about sustainability. How will I find my place at an institution which actively participates in a practice, I know very little about? Is it because of demographics? Why do some children receive education on sustainability and others do not?

4 thoughts on “Final Thoughts, Reflection of the Impact of My Intern Experience

Hi Victoria! I agree with you that internships are to help us hone all our skills and learn more about our own capabilities. I’m glad you learned a lot about your passion during this internship. I hope you use this experience to do even greater things next summer!

Thank you Carrie Y. I am so glad I was able to take part in this wonderful opportunity!

Hi Victoria! So glad that you could have an experience with such positive impact. Though I would not personally know, I’m sure transferring must be pretty difficult to deal with but I’m happy you were able to have an internship that helped you with this struggle. Hope you enjoy the rest of your time at the university!

Sandy thank you for your comments and kind words. It has been a great opportunity for me to build up characteristics that the University expects from the students.