Interview #2

I conducted my second informational interview with a copywriter, a path I am also considering.  I hadn’t thought too seriously about pursuing it until recently, but speaking with my bosses and him have given me a lot to think about.

When he was talking about why he got into copywriting, I felt like I was listening to myself.  “I always loved to read and write, but knew myself well enough to know I needed stability.”  I have said that exact sentence countless times as the reason I was pursuing communications and advertising.  But, as I’ve mentioned before, account services doesn’t give me a lot of opportunity to write or generate a lot of ideas.

One of the biggest things I’ve come to realize over the course of this internship (and through watching Mad Men, which I just finished) is that, when I was younger and thought about working in advertising, it was being a copywriter that I was dreaming of.  That career path gives me the avenue to follow all my passions: I get to think about human behavior and then target that with my own words.

I still would like some exposure to the strategy side of the business, to see if that would also fulfill me.  However, at the moment, nothing excites me more than the idea of being a copywriter.  It’s scary and I’m still coming to terms with it.  It would require more school to develop my portfolio, which is more time and money.  One of the things that scares me the most about copywriting is that your success is subjective.  One person could love my ideas, but another could hate them.  This makes myself and my ideas extremely vulnerable, but my friend found that that is part of what makes it so exhilarating.  You learn to not take it so personally, and feel fulfilled by the fact that your words are being seen or heard by millions.

My career path is perhaps even more twisted and uncertain than before.  This conversation certainly threw a wrench in it-but what an intoxicating wrench it is.

One thought on “Interview #2

Best of luck navigating this exciting shift!