A Rad Radiation Safety Training | #4

The DOHMH offers its staff and associates a variety of free trainings (sadly, I just missed the CPR certification training). Today I went to the Radiation Control Officer Training, where we got the chance to use Geiger counters.

Basically, after a radiation exposure, the fire department is in charge of securing the “hot zone” while the DOHMH is in charge of surveying the “cold zone.” Hot zone is the area immediately surrounding the dangerous radioactive source where actions are taken to protect the public from dangerous exposure while the cold zone is the area outside of the hot zone and actions are taken to make sure that no contamination is present in the cold zone.

So my initial expectation was an interactive tour of a nuclear fuel plant (this idea was not uncalled for as an older employee mentioned having gone to one before). Reality was a classroom and a packet of 80 printed slides… sound familiar?

But as I sat down and the presentation began, I was enraptured. Our speaker used many anecdotes and pertinent jokes to keep the audience’s attention. Before I knew it, three hours had gone by and we were done with the 80 slides! Up next, was the interactive part.

The event coordinators had hidden (weak) radioactive sources in the hallway and we were all paired with a partner to use a Geiger counter to find where the contamination was. So basically a (not really) more dangerous hide and seek for adults!

This is a fellow MRC volunteer using the Geiger counter to survey the floor for any contamination (I realize he looks like he is vacuuming, but I promise he is doing some serious stuff – hide and seek).

At the end of the training, we were all given certificates, so now I have something to brag about. Oh, and our speaker was a UMich alum! Today was a day full of surprises.

2 thoughts on “A Rad Radiation Safety Training | #4

It is so cool that you are certified in Radiation Control Officer Training! And I’m glad you had fun while doing it!

It’s so cool that your speaker was a UM alum! That sounds like a great experience!