Flexibility | 2

Although the past few weeks have passed by so quickly, that isn’t to say that I haven’t had time to make a number of observations. In particular, there have been a number of surprises in working with Aflac.

The most notable aspect of my internship and with many of the associates that work with Aflac is the amount of flexibility that comes with the job. New associates and interns are tasked with creating and building upon their own business.

While the product is insurance, the way every person goes about bringing the product into a business will vary with every individual. The nature of this job favors those that put in more work and effort. Because insurance agents work on commission, their sales schedule and working hours are not set in stone. This is something I’ve come to find early on, as I shadowed my coordinator and assisted her in many tasks that were all different, yet intertwined. There have been a number of days where we would be out in the field, stopping into businesses that we call inactive or doing follow ups. And on other days, I’m in the office learning how to recruit, or working in the online system that Aflac uses for enrolling policyholders.

As an intern, I do whatever my coordinator sees fit for building upon my own business, while also learning how to assist others – another surprise for me!

I had the impression that sales agents would be essentially in competition with each other at all times, after all, someone could bring Aflac into a business that you wished could have been yours. Yet in my office, especially with my team members, every agent assists other agents. We work as a team to ensure that the process is efficient, and often go to meetings and stops as pairs. The support that we give each other is endearing, and shows that sales isn’t always about people trying to scam and outdo others, in fact, working together has helped my colleagues to grow and further the path to reaching goals.

While I only mentioned two surprises so far, I’m sure that there will be more to come as I keep interning with Aflac this summer, and I’m looking forward to it.

One thought on “Flexibility | 2

Hi Carmen! I love that your team members are supportive and not competitive when it comes to bringing in customers. I know that my sister has once worked in a similar job and it became an every-man-for-himself situation. Let us know about more surprising things from your internship!