Identity | 5

As my time in Piran continues, I have found myself living more comfortably than I initially was when I arrived. However, in my daily life here, I have observed the part of my individual identity as an introvert in a different light. While living here, I am essentially on my own and must put myself out there if I am to be known. For example, if I am hoping to start a conversation with a native of Slovenia, I must initiate the conversation, instead of the other way around. At first, I was very nervous to do this (out of a lack of experience more than anything), but as time progressed and I have had more opportunities to interact, I have become much more open in Slovenia.

Besides the scientific experience I have gained from this internship, I’m also glad to have had the opportunity to interact beyond my comfort zone. I hope to carry this experience with me back to Ann Arbor for the fall semester!

One thought on “Identity | 5

It can be so hard to put yourself out there in a new environment, with a new culture and language to learn! Do you have any tips for how to initiate that first conversation?