#3 Leadership

Working as an intern you often feel that you are the lowest and least important of all the staff members. You help with the grunt work and do whatever’s needed in order for projects to get done. Sometimes you get a chance to become a leader and step up and help and this internship has given me that opportunity.

Working at Columbia we collect data by going on these interviews and discussing the participants lives with them. We go in groups of two or three and one of us must be in charge of collecting the consent forms and beginning the completion emails. It may not seem like a lot but it is one of the most important parts of collecting the data.

In Psychology research obtaining consent is what allows the research to continue.

As I started to go on the field interviews with my colleagues my confidence grew as I interviewed the participants on a one on one basis. Eventually my work with the participants was reviewed and my colleges felt confident enough in my skills and abilities to send me out on interviews by myself.

I not only held my own interviews but was able to guide the other interns with their questions and how to collect data and help with problem solving within the office.

I found that I like leading groups and individuals and the more opportunities I have in a leadership position strengthens my confidence and skills.

Danielle Harrison

I am a senior studying Psychology with a double minor in Crime and Justice and PiTE. I am completing an internship as a Research Assistant with Columbia University in the Global Psychiatric Epidemiology Group.