Blog #3: There’s No Place Like DC

After being in the nation’s capital for two months, it has become clear to me that I love being in Washington D.C. If you can get past the sweltering heat, you will quickly learn that there is so much to do here. Between seeing the Constitution at the National Archives, exploring the Newseum, and enjoying a nice dinner near the Capitol Building, I never get bored here.

There are also so many different opportunities in D.C. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I got to see a live showing of Tucker Carlson Tonight, one of the most watched news shows in the country. After watching this show for many months, it was an incredible experience getting to watch it in person with some of my fellow interns. After the show, Tucker told us about his own experiences in journalism and offered some very helpful advice.

Additionally, last week I had the opportunity to go to the Capitol Building for my internship while Congress was debating the GOP health care bill. At the Capitol I got to interview several senators and hear many different perspectives.

On top of that, last week I was also sent to cover a congressional hearing on freedom of speech on college campuses. After the hearing, I was lucky enough to interview some of the panelists, including Ben Shapiro.

These opportunities are only possible because of what a busy and exciting city Washington DC is. Each week is so different and you never know what event you’ll find yourself at or who you’ll meet. Due to the past two incredible months, I have learned that I definitely want to be in DC following graduation. It is comforting knowing that I have found a city that I truly can call home.