The 42km Coast Line | #5

This past week I have learned loads about jellyfish and had a blast too. I have been asked to collect samples of jelly fish for genetic testing which means I get to go out on the boat and explore the amazing coast line once or twice a week! The sun is brutal in this mediterranean region but it’s not too bad when we get to jump in the water :). I am testing what polyps (baby jellyfish) require to survive. I am running an experiment that will decrease the salinity of the water little by little to see at which point the water does not contain enough salt for them to survive.

Because I’m so close, I went to Istanbul for the weekend to visit a friend who lived with me in Boston for a year in high school. It was such a wonderful weekend. She showed me only a small portion of the city because it’s so massive and I was only there for a weekend but what I saw was amazing. Her family owns a cafe and her mother is a baker so to say I ate well would be an understatement. I learned about the awful political situation they are facing there and all I can say is that it is so sad that the country is going in a horrible direction and there isn’t much to do about it. But of course, the turkish culture is still amazing.

Istanbul

freeze-dried jellyfish
view of piran from the water
venetian architecture in Koper, SL

Tansy

Biology and Environment major at the University of Michigan. Boston --> Ann Arbor --> Piran, Slovenia. I <3 sailing, backpacking, theater, and baking.

3 thoughts on “The 42km Coast Line | #5

Wow that looks amazing! I’ve always wanted to go to Istanbul.
    The jellyfish fieldwork sounds like a great combination of your majors – is this something you want to do in the future?

I’m not sure Jenny! The setup of this internship has not been the best so I don’t think it’s given me a good idea of what a future job in this field could look like, unfortunately.

Hmm..so maybe something for a future job is more structure?