Big Project | #4

My goal for today has been to work on wrapping up the biggest major project I’ve done for my internship so far. Exciting! I’m really lucky because over the course of this summer, this internship has given me several opportunities to pitch and write my own articles, most of which have been shorter web stories. They also have all of their interns write one longer feature over the course of the summer, which is what I’ve been finishing up this week.

My feature is focused mainly on collage in Baltimore, which I’m super glad I ended up being able to write about because I’m really interested in visual art. For this project, I set up interviews with three established Baltimore artists who work with collage, two of whom teach collage-related courses at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA). Coincidentally, each type of interview was different: I did an email interview last week, a phone interview yesterday, and an in-person interview today. Today was my first long, structured in-person interview ever with this publication and possibly ever, period.

My work now is going to involve looking over my notes from all three interviews and trying to synthesize them and bring them together into an article that will sound good and make sense. In my opinion, that’s going to be the hard part. But I’m still really excited to tackle it, and also glad that all of my interviews ended up working out so well. I’ve written so many shorter pieces and done so many shorter interviews over the course of this summer that I feel very prepared for this next step. I’m very thankful to have been given this much opportunity and agency in my internship. Now I just hope the article turns out well!