Informational Interviews | #1

For my first Interview, I met with a senior consultant in my practice at the firm who has been working with the firm for over 3 years. He graduated from University of Michigan in 2014 and joined the company straight after. We both majored in Economics and were international students, so I found a lot in common with him. I felt that his path could give me a vision of how my life could be, three years down the line, if I accepted my return offer from the firm. He gave me information about valuable lessons he learnt in his three years at the company, which included both work and networking related lessons. I realized that while quality of work in the company is important, networking helps performance go that extra mile since there are several people with a variety of experiences and backgrounds, who could enhance my knowledge overall.

For my second interview, I met manager in my practice at the firm who has been working with them for almost five years now. She is currently studying in University of Chicago, Booth School of Business as a part-time MBA student. We met because I wanted to learn how she juggles her work with studying and why she chose to be a part-time student rather than a full-time one. She explained that her years with the company have been very educational and she has been on a fast track in terms of promotions due to the quality of work she has been able to deliver and thus she did not want to give that up for two years of graduate school. While it is hard, she manages to get good grades and keep up with the busy season at work. She was a role model for me over the summer and I look up to her determination and ability to manage her work life balance.

One thought on “Informational Interviews | #1

This sounds like a great experience! It is nice to know that you are learning so much from these individuals. I also agree that networking is a very big part of any career. I hope you continue to do well in your internship. Good Luck!