Met Elaine Chao! Blog #3 Favorite Experience (so far)

On Friday Elaine Chao,  the 18th and current United States Secretary of Transportation, visited The Department of Transportation to meet people. I was sitting at my desk at the time and decided to get up to refill my water bottle. I heard that she would be viewing the office that week, but I did not know when she planned on being on the floor that I work. I made a turn for the water fountain and saw people around her, who seemed to be guiding her around the building. I did not even fill up my water bottle, instead I walked back to cubicle because I felt hesitant and shy. I then gave myself a pep talk and rushed back to where she was and introduced myself. I unfortunately did not get a picture, although I knew she would not have minded. The experience was great and I am glad I had the courage to walk up to her.

Mrs. Chao was the first Asian American woman in U.S. history to be appointed to a President’s Cabinet. She served as the 24th United States Secretary of Labor under President George W. Bush, and as Deputy Secretary of Transportation and Director of the Peace Corps under President George H. W. Bush. Although we sometimes have different political views, you cannot deny Elaine Chao’s extensive history in politics and her drive. I also believe that representation matters, and it is good to have someone who strives to reach her potential, not only for herself, but for the people who follow her.