UCLA Applied Math REU | Blog Post #4

This week, there were some minor issues with the skeletonization of the images obtained when the fungi was cultured in antibiotic media. The fungal network was extremely dendritic and shadows of certain branches appeared in some of the tiling regions. Thus the standard Otsu thresholding algorithm didn’t work as accurately as it should have. Using padded gaussian filters and eroding the image based on line structuring elements did help to obtain a clean binarized image of the network. The next step is to compare the properties of the fungal network in neutral and antibiotic resistant media. My co-workers and I are preparing Slides for next week’s final presentation and we also discussed about what each student is going to contribute to the research paper due nextr Friday (Aug 11,  2017.) The final presentation event will take place in the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics. All staff members associated with this program will be present along with the students in formal attire. This weekend, I plan to take a hike to the Hollywood Sign; well at least to Mt Lee Drive to have a nice view of the historic sign and landscape nearby.

2 thoughts on “UCLA Applied Math REU | Blog Post #4

It is clear that you are learning a lot! I am sorry that your experiment did not go as smoothly as you would have hoped. I am sure that you will do well on your presentation. Have fun at the Hollywood Sign!

Thank you. It’s been a great learning experience!