Informational Interview #1 || #6

I held my first informational interview last Thursday with a behavioral economist at the Scripps Translational Science Institute (STSI). He is a part of the All of Us program which seeks to enroll 1 million persons and obtain in-detailed healthcare information about them, with the hope of personalizing medicine in the future. He informed me about his journey that led him to getting the job at STSI. It was a fascinating one as he has been all over Europe, studying behavioral economics, working with some of the leading economists in the world, mentoring a whole bunch of Ph.D. students as well conducting many large scale field experiments. He then gave me a background into what his role at STSI is and how it is one of the most different jobs he has ever had so far but he is looking forward to working at STSI. We then spoke a little more about his work and his interests before delving into writing scientific papers and how frustrating getting it published can be.

In the 25 minutes that we spent talking, it was clear to see his passion for his work. That passion crept into me and served as a reminder to me that I need to pursue what I love and what I am extremely passionate about. I was also able to pick up on the fact that there isn’t just one type of job which I will find myself in, but many different types of jobs, each with its own sets of demands and rigors, but as long as I am doing what I am passionate about, there will be joy taken out from each one.