A Picture Worth 1,000 Words – ESJ Blog Post 1

Hello all!

My apologies for being a touch late to the party. My internship focuses primarily on fieldwork, and because of that I didn’t really have a chance to start posting here until recently. I’m working at Annis Water Resource Institute in Michigan, working on a research project concerning the feeding rates of cold-water stream fishes. Though I’m personally more interested in entomology than ichthyology, it’s been a great opportunity to learn new things – and my interest in entomology has even come in handy as well! Another girl here is surveying available versus utilized food sources in the same species of fish I’m studying, so when I have a spare moment I try to help her sort and identify her samples. Honestly that doesn’t happen much due to how busy I am, but it’s still nice to have the opportunity.

Anyway, today I wanted to share with you all one of my favorite pictures from this internship:

Yep, that’s me, in all my poorly planned glory. See I work primarily in a creek wearing waders to keep me dry, however when it started to rain on one of our sampling days my upper half was completely unprotected… Which resulted in this picture. Out of the three of us, only one actually brought a rain jacket, so I was in good company. That being said, it was certainly a lesson in preparation!

Anyway, thank you so much for reading and have a wonderful day! I’m sure you’ll see more of me as I post more.

Cheers,

-E.S.J.